A delicious entree goes great with a salad and some crusty bread!
- yield: one 14cm x 14cm dish
Ingredients | 材料 :
1 eggplant, medium size
1 cup Mozzarella shredded cheese
2 tablespoons Parmesan shredded cheese
1 cup pasta sauce (or 1 portion homemade Tomato Sauce) (Steps|做法)
1/2 portion homemade Seasoned Oatcrumbs (Steps|做法)
Steps | 做法 :
- Preheat oven to 200°C 20 minutes before baking.
- Get ready the pasta sauce (or homemade tomato sauce).
- Cut the eggplant into 0.5~0.75cm slices. Sprinkle both sides with salt and place slices in a colander with a dish underneath to capture liquid sweat, leave for 30 minutes. Pat dry eggplant with kitchen towel. Dip them in beaten egg, then in seasoned oatcrumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, turn, return to the bake for another 10 minutes. (Alternative: heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, place one layer of eggplant in the pan, brown each side, repeat with remaining eggplant slices. Add additional oil if necessary.)
- In a 14x14cm baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce at the bottom, place a single layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce, top the eggplant with 1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Parmesan shredded cheese. This completes the 1st round layering. Make the 2nd layer, same as above procedure.
- Put the dish into the preheated oven and adjust it to 180°C, bake for around 20~22 minutes until sauce is bubbly and the top is getting golden.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread!